Jeep Lift Buying Guide for Spring 2021
Are you interested in buying a Jeep lift kit? This can be a great upgrade for your vehicle. However, it can also be a little confusing to get started. Should you buy a Rough Country suspension lift or a Mopar body lift? The following information will help to guide you through the buying process to find the ideal lift kit for your needs.
Types of Lift Kits
The simplest starting point is understanding the two main categories of lift kits. There are suspension lifts and body lifts.
- Suspension: As the name implies, this affects the vehicle’s suspension. It will raise the height of the frame from the trail. Therefore, it can increase your clearance as well as approach and departure angles.
- Body: This type of lift only raises the body above the frame. This is helpful for fitting larger wheels and tires. Body lifts are less expensive and simpler than suspension lifts.
Choosing the Right Kit
When you are choosing a lift kit, it is important to understand your unique requirements. These are some of the key factors to consider:
- Goals: Do you want to cruise around in a lifted Jeep? Do you want to take on more challenging trails? How important is road driving to you? Typically, lift Jeeps perform worse on the road. A suspension lift is essential for tougher off-roading. However, you don’t want to get too crazy and upset the balance.
- Budget: We all have to deal with the realities of budgets. A Rough Country 4 inch lift kit may look cool but it will cost more than a 2 inch lift. As mentioned above, body lifts are less expensive. Sometimes people combine a small suspension lift with a small body lift for optimal budget-to-height ratio.
- Expertise: Who will be installing your lift kit? If you want to do it yourself, make sure you get a kit that is within your wheelhouse. The taller you go, the most complex the kits get. Some even require modifications to the drivetrain.
Top Lift Kits for Jeeps
With the above in mind, you may be wondering which kits are the best. Obviously, the answer varies depending on the Jeep. However, there are some top hits.
The Teraflex 3″ Sport S/T3 Suspension Lift Kit is highly popular with good ratings. It can raise your Jeep Wrangler JK by three inches from the suspension.
For a slightly larger lift, consider the Old Man Emu 4” Suspension Lift Kit. It comes with Nitrocharger sport shocks. Despite being higher, it is a little cheaper than the Teraflex (which comes with Fox shocks).
For a more budget-friendly option, consider the Rubicon Express 2.5″ Progressive Coil Lift Kit. Although it is a smaller lift, it gets the job done at a fraction of the price of the Teraflex.
Get Your Lift Kit Today
Learn more about Jeep lift kits today. When you know your requirements, you can find a kit that works for your needs. Get started on your search. It may help to talk with some other Jeep owners to get their impressions of different kits.